Throughout our many years of serving Midland, Big Spring, and Stanton families, our staff at Nalley-Pickle & Welch Funeral Home & Crematory believes this: There is no greater honor than caring for veterans and their families. For us, it’s one way to say thank you to those brave men and women who give so much to protect our American ideals of freedom, justice, and equality. Our servicemen and women magnify the courage and national pride that sets the United States apart, and we recognize the sacrifices they and their families make along the way.
As Veterans Day approaches, we pay tribute to those who have served in the United States Armed Forces. There is no way we can adequately express our appreciation for what these citizens have done and continue to do for us. We give thanksfor their willingness to serve and devote themselves so wholeheartedly to making our country and our world a safer place to live.
Our hearts also go out to veterans and their families, and we hope our appreciation is evident through the many ways we remember veterans in lifeand in death. At Nalley-Pickle & Welch Funeral Home & Crematory, this includes the following.
Standard honor military funerals can include:
- A U.S. Flag to drape over the casket
- The flag to be folded following the service and presented to the family
- The playing of Taps by a lone bugler or an audio recording.
Full honor military funerals include all standard honors in addition to the following:
- A 3-volley gun salute from military rifles.
- Military pallbearers to carry the casket
Other Veteran Benefits
In addition to coordinating honors related to the service itself, we can help you communicate with the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to arrange for:
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate. This is a certificate expressing the nation’s recognition of the veteran’s service. The veteran’s name is inscribed, and the certificate bears the signature of the president. Certificates are issued in the name of honorably discharged, deceased veterans. Contact us for assistance in applying for a Presidential Memorial Certificate, and we would be happy to guide you through the process.
- Headstones or Markers. The VA provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans anywhere in the world and for eligible dependents of veterans buried in national, state, veteran, or military cemeteries.
- Memorial Plots. If an eligible veteran’s remains are not available for burial, the VA will provide a plot and headstone or marker in a national cemetery for memorialization. If you wish to place the memorial in a cemetery other than a national cemetery, the VA will provide the headstone or marker but not the plot itself.
- Burial in a VA National Cemetery. This includes the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave, a grave box, and perpetual care.
- Reimbursement of Burial Expenses. For information on eligibility and the different levels of potential reimbursement, please review their Guide to VA Burial Allowances.
We’ve been helping families honor their veterans since we opened our doors in 1937. Over the years, we’ve had many cherished memories – and hope the families we serve can say the same. We commemoratemoments like soldiers presenting the folded American flag to a grieving family, or displaying a uniform at the visitation. We treasure showing photos from military days during the funeral service,or setting up a memory table at the reception that features awards, honors, or other items from their time in the service.
When it’s time to pay tribute to the veteran in your life, or if you are a veteran and would like to put your funeral plans in place ahead of time, reach out to our caring team by phone, or stop by in person. We can help you through all these steps and find out exactly what benefits you deserve. We work with these wonderful families often and know the process well. For more information, contact us at any time.